As part of Rolling Hills Prep and Renaissance Schools' ongoing self-evaluation and improvement, a group of teachers, trustees, and parents has approved the learning expectations for students shown below, based on the Four Pillars. Every day our teachers focus on these four pillars, incorporating these philosophies into their teaching and evaluation. These principles are not just on paper. They inspire the high-quality teaching hallmark of Rolling Hills Prep, REACH, and Renaissance Schools.
- Become aware of, and appreciate, the relevance of the learning process to life
- Learn to probe and investigate, think logically and critically, synthesize ideas, and solve problems
- Communicate effectively in writing, verbally, and graphically
- Become skillful researchers--organize, comprehend, evaluate, and interpret information and ideas
- Make interdisciplinary connections.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and self-discipline.
- Become independent, confident problem-solvers who are enthusiastic and willing to take risks
- Develop awareness, acceptance, and respect for different opinions, cultures, religions, learning styles
- Work productively with others, cooperate, and be good team players in all areas of life
- Show respect for rules through the traits of honesty and honor, and display sportsmanship
- Demonstrate strong social responsibility both inside and outside of school.
- Gain an understanding of how the body works and how food, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, human relationships, exercise, and mental health affect the body
- Make healthy and beneficial choices concerning food, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, human relationships, exercise, and mental health.
- Make decisions based upon the long-term effects of choices, not just what feels good or works for today.
- Promote health-positive choices amongst peers and family
- Communicate confidently, effectively, and with sensitivity in a variety of forms
- Recognize, analyze, and appreciate creative writing and the visual and performing arts
- Cultivate a safe, nurturing, and enthusiastic environment among all members of the community while engaging in the creative process
- Gain a perspective of self.