Service Learning Philosophy
Rolling Hills Preparatory School works in partnership with parents to develop in their college-bound students disciplined minds, sound character, healthy bodies, and creative spirits, through proven teaching methods within a supportive and stimulating academic environment.
Within the framework of this mission, the school specifies the following learning expectations as they relate to Sound Character:
• To develop skills of leadership, cooperation, and teamwork
• To demonstrate a sense of personal and social responsibility
• To develop cross-cultural appreciation and understanding
• To develop a positive and healthy appreciation of self
Forms and Downloads
Upcoming Service Learning Opportunities
Service opportunities are announced at morning meeting and students or parents can always contact the advisor to see if anything is coming up in the immediate future.
All Upper School students are required to complete 30 hours of Service Learning (community service) per year. Upper School students may complete additional hours in their freshman and sophomore years and bank them toward their obligation for their junior and senior years. Middle School students are required to complete 15 hours of Service Learning per year.
The RHP and Renaissance Service Learning Program offers three ways students can fulfill their requirements:
1. Through specific projects conceived, organized and carried out by one or more Advisory Groups. Projects include habitat restoration at Machado Lake, tutoring at the partner schools, or planning and carrying out other opportunities.
2. By participating in one of the volunteer programs at one of our partner organizations. See the list of approved partner organizations below.
3. Individual volunteer efforts:
• Participating in any of the numerous opportunities that will be posted on the Calendar on this page
• Volunteering for any project at any of the approved partner organizations
• Working on an approved project to benefit the school
• Other volunteering that has been approved in advance by the school
Approved Partner Organizations
• Harbor Park (Machado Lake)
• Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (PVPLC)
• Taper Avenue Elementary School
• Toberman Neighborhood Center
Service Learning Resources
iVolunteer - Los Angeles
Looking for Service Learning options around Los Angeles? Check out iVolunteer - Los Angeles. This resource organizes different Service Learning opportunities by category. RHP and Renaissance staff will not be present at all these events, but there are great opportunities to find a project that you are interested in. Be sure to fill out the Service Learning log form at your event.
Head of School Honor Roll
Students will be placed on the Head of School Service Learning Honor Roll when they complete a minimum number of hours of volunteer time (15 hours for Upper School, seven hours for Middle School) in one trimester. Students may complete the entire Honor Roll requirement (45 hours for Upper School, 21 hours for Middle School) during the summer or in one trimester and remain on the Honor Roll for the year. Students may be asked to share their work with their advisory groups to help them reflect on their activities and to introduce their peers to potential opportunities.
The advisory presentation will focus on answering the following questions:
• In what activities did I participate?
• How did I help people?
• How could this activity be improved or built upon?
• What did I learn from the opportunity?
Approval & Recording
Volunteer log forms for all service work must be filled out, signed by a supervisor (who is not related to the student) from the organization for which students are volunteering, and turned in to Mr. Boccuzzi for hours to be counted. Hours must be turned in before the end of the current trimester to be considered for the Service Learning Honor Roll. Volunteer log forms areavailable in the office, from Mr. Boccuzzi, or by clicking the link below.